Municipal Government Act & Procedural Bylaw
Parts 5 & 6 of the Municipal Government Act focuses on Councils, Councillors, and Council Committees, as well as Municipal Organization. It includes procedures for passing bylaws, making
Closed Council Sessions
Information from Alberta Municipal Affairs website
What is closed session?
This is a legal term meaning “in private”. When a council goes in closed session, it means that the Council Meeting (as defined in the Municipal Government Act (MGA) is closed to the public.
Council members, the CAO, and any others included in the closed session discussion are required to keep in confidence what was discussed until the item is discussed at a Council Meeting held in public.
Section 197 of the MGA prohibits the passing of a resolution or bylaw during an closed session. If a direction or decision is reached in a closed session, then a resolution must be made in the open meeting so that Council’s direction is recorded and acted upon.
The media and public cannot attend the closed
What can be discussed in a closed session? The FOIP Act outlines the discussion items that would allow a council to go into a closed session,
including where a public disclosure could be harmful to:
Third partybusiness interests (Sect 16)
- Third party personal privacy (Sect 17)
- Individual or public safety (Sect 18 and 19)
- Law enforcement (Sect 20)
- Intergovernmental relations (Sect 21-24)
- Economic interests (Sect 25-29)
Public bodies should not:
- Reveal confidential employee evaluations;
- Disclose local public body
confidences,or advice from officials; or
- Disclose information that is subject to any kind of legal privilege.
- For information on how the FOIP Act affects
municipalities, please visit the Service Alberta Website
Monday, April 15, 2019 at 8:00am Special Council Meeting:
Reeve Wittstock has called a Special Council Meeting for 8:00 a.m., Monday, April 15, 2019 to be held in Council Chambers, to deal with the following item:
- Postponement of Public Hearing scheduled for April 23, 2019 at 10:00 a.m., that being a request to redesignate a portion of the NW 30-33-26 W4 (Plan 1014421; Block 1; Lot 1) specifically a triangular piece of land approximately 250m2 east of the residence along the easterly parcel boundary, from Agriculture District to Bylaw 1794 Direct Control District 6.
Watch Council Meetings Recordings on YouTube at Kneehill County channel.
Administration Office: 1600 - 2nd Street NE