Winter Water Meter Care
Kneehill County’s Utility Department would like to remind all water system users that their water meter equipment is susceptible to freezing. The onus of care and protection of the meters is the responsibility of the user.
If a water meter freezes, the meter will have to be replaced and the cost associated with the replacement is charged to the customer.
Please ensure that your water meter is in a frost-free location, and any means being used to keep the meter from freezing are in good working order (ex. heat tape, insulation tape, etc.) and connected to a safe power source.
For more winter water tips and information, please contact Kneehill County, 403-443-5541.
Water Line Flushing
To maintain water quality, Kneehill County Utility Operators will perform routine water line flushing in the Hamlets of Torrington, Swalwell, and Huxley during the fall every year.
When the water main flushing is taking place a resident may experience temporary discolouration and/or low water pressure. This is normal. If this happens simply let your water run until it is clear. We thank you for your cooperation and patience during this maintenance project.
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing in your area.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clear. This will allow the sediment to work its way through your pipes.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher. NOTE: If your laundry becomes stained, DO NOT PUT YOUR LAUNDRY IN THE DRYER. Rewash clothes immediately using detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.
Kneehill County has a variety of water resources and lines serving different areas of residents.
We maintain Alberta Environment Standards for water testing procedures and timelines.
Elevated Fluoride in Water Supply
- Letter from Alberta Health Services
- (High Levels: January 2018) For more information: Canadian Dental Association Position Statement
- Health Canada: Fluoride and Human Health
- Alberta Health Services: Water Fluoridation
Public Notice of Application
Sept 8, 2020: Korova Feeders Ltd