Building & Safety Codes Permits

What is the difference between a Development Permit and a Building Permit?

A development permit is not the same as a building permit.

  • A development permit allows a specific type of development on a specific parcel of land in the community to proceed with the appropriate zoning and development standards set by the current Land Use Bylaw and the Municipal Government Act. A development permit may stipulate some of the following conditions: the allowed use of the property, intensity of that use, building height, building site coverage, density, setbacks from property lines and other buildings and parking requirements.
  • A building permit allows construction of buildings or structure to proceed on the condition of compliance with the Alberta Building Code which addresses building and fire safety. A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition, or change of use of a building. A building permit application is reviewed for compliance with the Alberta Building Code by a plans examiner to ensure that the build is safe.

Why do you need a building permit?

Building permits are important to ensure your construction meets provincial safety codes. Your insurance may not cover a claim for an accident if you do not have a building permit in place.

Building permits in Kneehill County are issued in accordance with the Alberta Safety Code Act to ensure that new construction meets provincial safety codes.  Superior Safety Codes Inc. is Kneehill County's authorized accredited agency that conducts all safety codes inspections within the county.

How to apply:

When you apply for a building permit, you will be required to provide blueprints or plans for the project. New National Energy Code and New Home Warranty requirements will also be required at the time of application. Please call the Planning Department (403-443-5541) to ensure your plans include all the required details.

When to apply:

You may apply for a building permit once you have a development permit. Many people submit both applications at the same time however your building permit will not be issued until the development permit has been approved.

In accordance with the Safety Codes Act Permit Regulations 25 (1), work is to commence within 90 days of a permit issuance and is not to be abandoned for more than 120 days or the permit will expire. If the building permit expires, you must reapply for a new permit.

Other permits you may need:

Depending on your development permit, you may require obtaining additional permits for gas, electrical, plumbing, and/or sewage. These are processed by Kneehill County. 

Kneehill County's Planning & Development Department is pleased to address any questions or concerns you may have. Please contact us at 1-866-443-5541.